Funder: The Company of Biologists Ltd.
Due Date: January 4, 2017
Applications are invited from the organisers of a range of charitable activities, including – but not limited to – meetings, workshops and conferences in the fields covered by our journals. Organisers may use a grant from The Company of Biologists in a variety of ways, for example to meet the expenses of a plenary or keynote speaker, assist with travel for early career scientists, or to reduce (or waive) registration fees.
It is necessary under the law of England and Wales, for grants to be provided on terms which enable us to verify that the funding provided has been put to proper use and monitor it, in furtherance of our charitable purposes. As such, our grants are subject to terms and conditions which are non-negotiable and it is for those applying for grants to decide whether or not to accept them on the terms offered. Our Grant Agreement is attached to the application form for information.
Guidelines for completing the application form:
- The applicant who completes the form must be in the organising group for the meeting. Applications from professional fund-raisers will not generally be considered.
- Incomplete application forms will not be considered.
- We are unable to fund ‘core costs’ (or overheads).
- Information on the topics/programme outline, speakers/proposed speakers and the budget outline for the whole meeting must be included with the application form. Please keep this information to a maximum of six pages in total.
- Please note that whilst the quality of science remains paramount, The Company of Biologists would prefer to support meetings and events where organisers have sought maximal feasible diversity in speakers in terms of geography, gender and age. In addition, where attendance at events is selective, then we would expect such issues to also be influential. We invite applicants to make a statement on these issues in their application for funding.
- Funding requests must be in GB Pounds Sterling.
- Application forms and supporting information must be written in English.
Acknowledgement of funding: As part of our agreement to provide funding, we request that should your application be successful, you acknowledge The Company of Biologists’ contribution to the meeting on your website and in any printed material circulated about the event. We would ask that this acknowledgement include our company name, logo and web address. Upon grant approval we will issue a non-negotiable Grant Agreement which will need to be signed and returned along with your bank details. We also require a 250–500 word summary of the meeting including an assessment of the impact and outcome of the meeting within 3 months of the meeting date. If you have any questions regarding these grants, please contact email@example.com.