Funder: NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Due Date: 2/2/2018
This RFA will support new construction or renovation of a facility to create an Urban Environmental Education Center (Center). The Center should inspire exploration, discovery, and learning about the urban environment.
Possible uses or programming of the Center include but are not limited to:
• Education about indoor air pollution and modeling methods to reduce exposure to indoor air pollution
• Education about environmental justice challenges.
• Green jobs training and education.
• Programs, information, and exhibits that increase awareness and stewardship of the local environment
• Models of sustainable development including LEED Green Building Certification, green infrastructure, and urban agriculture.
• Research and monitoring programs focusing on urban watershed issues, combined sewer overflow, vehicle emissions, energy generation, solid waste transfer activities and/or other urban environment issues.
• Community space for local community based organizations, community events, and workshops.
• K-12 educational programming in ecology, urban environmental issues, green technology, and urban environmental sustainability.
• College level electives in ecology, green energy technology, and urban environmental sustainability.
• Outdoor components such as community gardens or urban farms.